We hear plenty of advice from mums, the NHS, relatives, friends etc on being 'pro breast feeding'. We all know the sayings 'breast is best', 'it gives the best start in life for your baby'- I'm not here to dispute this as I am by no means a scientist BUT I never hear how mums/friends etc are pro formula feeding or how this can be the better option over breast feeding. Before you judge, hear me out...
Oscar refused and I mean REFUSED the breast as soon as he was born. I was determined to breastfeed as I had been told it was going to be the best thing for my baby (but not for me- no-one told me that bit). I had to force his little head onto my boob just to make him feed a little. I tried for 10 days and just could not do it. In the meantime I was formula feeding him, topping him up so the poor little thing wouldn't starve.
Apparently there were breast feeding classes I could go to which would help me. Sorry but I didn't even want to leave our flat in those first few weeks , let alone traipse myself and a hungry newborn to a breastfeeding convention. My boyfriend was totally supportive and wanted me to do what was best for me- ah hah! ME!!! Now, this can be deemed as being selfish but my own experience has told me that what's best for ME is even better for my son.
After ten days of sore nipples, a jaundiced baby, anxiety levels through the roof and expressing like a large friesian cow we decided to use formula full time.
It really has been best for me (wine, cider, onions, cheese) and for my boyf (feeds him, happy girlfriend= happy life plus I have great tits haha) and also for Oscar. He sleeps really well - and I mean through the night since he was 9 weeks old. This certainly isn't down to any routine I have because this varies everyday. He is just a full, happy baby who is thriving on being bottle fed. People comment on how content and happy he looks all the time.
So don't stress about the breast if it's not working for you- get onto formula and don't regret a single thing.


Love this post! Sometimes women can get so harsh about the decisions about breast feeding or formula. I was able to breastfeed my son for 8 stressful, anxiety filled months since I was only able to nurse from one side and didn't have a big supply. Life got easier for me and baby once we switched to formula! And he turned out just fine! :)
ReplyDelete