Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Saint Sophie

The only Saint I am is a supporting one... Back in the UK the soccer (yes- REAL football!) team I support are Southampton FC- Dad is originally from there and Mum's side of the fam support them too so I was destined to be a life long Saints supporter:

However this isn't a soccer loving country, they like soccer over here but the number 1 sport is AFL- Aussie Rules Football. So, I support an AFL team called St Kilda, aka the Saints- see? I have an Australian Saints team too! There is a post here on AFL explaining it all- you know, a smaller egged shaped ball? Tall rugby posts? Violence? Hot men? REALLY hot men?? The evidence is here if you don't remember:


Last Saturday was the AFL grand final and Aussies were going crazy for it- everyone gets involved in it; all AFL loving fans get right into the spirit! My bestie, Miss CL, has been thrown right in the deep end with it all! We went and watched the Grand Final parade in Federation Square in Melbourne:



I was EXTRA excited as MY team St. Kilda were in the final!! This NEVER happens to my rubbish soccer (I mean football- what's wrong with me?) team back in the UK-they haven't won a dime since 1976, wayyyyyy before I was even born... So well chuffed that my Australian Saints were in a grand final!
It was all going on:



Miss CL and I enjoying the atmosphere and alcohol of course...



Me and Mr Melbs. Hot stuff: (p.s. the sweat band is the bargain of the century. Love it)


I had a reunion with Miss Canada here on the right. We met whilst travelling around NZ. One thing I learnt is that Canadian girls do not like impersonations of them by Aussie men, (it was VERY funny though):


The match ended up in a draw 68-68, the third draw in AFL Grand Final history since forever!!! Draws NEVER happen in AFL and the players were annoyed as they have to play AGAIN this Sat :-) (this would never happen in soccer, we use our common sense and have a penalty shoot out, REALLY exciting).

Go the SAINTS for Saturday!!!!

6 comments:

  1. Miss Sophs looks as if you had a fab time only a shame that those good looking Saints could not come marching in... And meeting up with miss canada too ! (hope Mr Melbs was not the one impersonating her!!) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. sian you are the cutest little thing!

    gay f l? loving it! i hope you sang peter crouch songs at them!

    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not a fan of AFL, so glad it's over for at least 6 months! PHEW!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They had this at on at the races when I was there the other weekend and people were going nuts!

    Its so disapointing how the second game panned out

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved it... I left during the second game when the game got boring and an old man face planted on the floor... Fun stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just found your blog from Kritin's page! Love it!

    Following you now! P.S... Your main pic in your about em is GORGEOUS!! <3

    ReplyDelete